Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Things started to change..


Things started to change..
The world goes round and round..My principle has changed...Things changed..The people around me changed..The weather changes everyday..My heart rate changes every second..My priority has changed.

Talking about changes,there are certain rules to hold on to when the drift come upon us.What we believed strongly before must become flexible as the situation changes.Adaptations made us mature in the environment, used to be alien to us.

But does the adaptation has the bad side?As my point of view,the answer is yes.Let s start with the few pointers.When we adapt, we get used to the culture and habits of local people. We get used to the smell of second hand cigarettes, we got used to the cold weather, we got used to the disgusting living space,not only the bitterness of alcholic drinks but also the super sour salads.I m speaking about life in Moscow.

Our life has been simplified to simple fast food instead of home cooking,coffee shots instead of sleep,Internet instead of news on tv but then and again we complicate our life by joining certain social groups as if we have so much time leftover from our studies.

Whenever i go home for the summer holiday, i have to get back to my feet. Therefore,adjustments to the hot weather,the regime of taking baths few times a day,to the suroundings,and the newly made highways.I got lost for a moment.Wondering when did my youngest grew so tall,why i cant find kitchen utilities in place,and where the heck are my clothes everytime i got home.Sometimes,some of my girlfriends will call me up and say''hey!Jo ,meet my husband,my son or my new car!''. And then when i visit my high school i cant find the mural i painted nor the beach area which i used to build my dream sand castle or the food stall we used to hang out.

I felt as if i knew Moscow better than my own hometown at that moment.When i visited the place i used to work,people who was there wasnt there anymore.They all seemed be moving on but what i felt for all these stayed the same from the moment i left them..

Sometimes i do envy friends who already own proper carreer,a car maybe or hapily married.Looking at myself ,i had nothing offer ,to anyone and sadly to admit my parents.

I cant help them to ease their burden to pay bills,i cant be with them when they needed my support, i cant talk to them and share moments. But the longer being overseas i started to lose my love for the things i used to love.For example, i dont like to watch tv anymore,i rather spend my time online than reading the daily newspapers,i dislike eating the oily food from hawker stall,i am afraid of strolling at the beach at night,i hate the crowd at pasar malam and many more.

My friends do meet up and we talked for hours but that only happen after long time of planning .Everyone seemed to be busy.Life has put me through difficult situations and many things that had happened changed my mind and perspective.

In some sort of crooked way, i absorbed the experience and my adventure into use.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah.. gettin used to the harsh Russians too.. (heh)

Posted by: Aimi Liyana | November 25, 2006 05:24 PM

i'm having the same problem in Butterworth as well. I'm so used to the life in KL. When I'm back to Bw, eveyone else was busy doing their work and ended up I work from home instead of enjoying my holidays. Hey, I think we never meet anymore after '99 ??

Posted by: Cheng I | November 26, 2006 01:05 AM

Dear Jo,

wel, it seems that u r voicing out my life in overseas. officially i've been here for 5 years, i guess its as long as d time u were in Moscow. but am stil very happy whenever i go back 2 hometown. cos the most important part is tat i'l get to c my parents & my siblings. everything change but my love towards my family never change & vice versa.
miss u sweetheart.
whatever u do never give up....& remember to contact when u come back.i can meet u anytime without long planning ^ _ ^

Posted by: JuLiA | November 26, 2006 07:46 PM

You're surprisingly profound and fluid with your thoughts. Ditto on your feelings. It's very spot on.

Posted by: Mira | December 1, 2006 01:40 AM